As I Ran By...

This morning, when I took my morning run, I did my normal route and was deeply into my music. By the time I got into my groove (it usually takes me about 10 min. to warm into my run) I saw a father standing, in the far distance, with his son.

I always love seeing men and their children, it's the most beautiful image (besides "old love"). The man was tall, big, and brown and his son was scrawny with the same complexion. The bus had just arrived and I noticed the dad gently push his son, in a wheelchair into the bus loader.

The bus worker also helped. While the boy was being lifted into the bus, the man kissed his son on the forehead. Once, the boy was lifted all the way into the bus, he turned to face his dad and began waving and smiling, his dad waved back. The bus doors closed and the father began to walk in the opposite direction. By this time, I had gotten close enough to the bus that I noticed all the children on this bus had special seating. They were sitting on the bus, in complete silence and something about it put a lump in my throat. Innocent children sitting in the bus silent, not standing up, greeting one another, like the rawdy buses I've rode.

All of a sudden the lump swelled, as I thought of the man who had walked his son to the bus - his son restricted to a wheelchair, as I ran by.


Popular Posts