Burn

So funny, I got my first burn on the grill - when I was super young. My father, like his father-in-law (and only father he knew) didn't believe in meals cooked indoors when temps allowed for outdoor cooking. He still doesn't - hence all his many ways ways of cooking outdoors. That said, the grill had become a part of our family tradition and I had no problem standing close to it and talking to loved ones.

I ended up burning my entire knee. My mom, in her normal disposition, didn't trip. She made me an at home elixir and patched me up. I was back outside and near the grill in no time.

That said, years later, I was burned so many times up and down my arms - from pastry arts school and time in professional kitchens - that I almost forget the awful shock of a burn. That is until a few days ago, years of not being burned (badly) made me soft. This recent burn has been brutal. I can't help, but feel slightly tough...but I also can't help searching for "ways you know your burn is infected" on Google.

Funny how pain can be slightly nostaligic and can also feel way worse when you haven't felt it in a while.

Written on iphone.

Popular Posts