Diary Entry: Call Me Superficial, if you like

I wrote this in private but then thought I would share just in case there are other people that have these feelings...




A conversation between me and Mike on Saturday:


"Baby, there was a market study, where they tested the most important factors to sales, presentations, and professionalism."
"Huh?"
"Okay, let's put it this way - choose what you think is most important when someone is giving a presentation: A.) The words coming out of their mouths B.) Tone C.) Eye contact and their outfit"
"C. Hands down."
"Man, how did you know? Today, I learned in a business seminar that over 55% of people judge a persons "sale-ability, etc." by their clothes and eye contact. I would think it was tone. How did you know?"
"I feel like it was engraved in me. Also, there are studies that note that teachers that wear business-wear and heels - the students give them more respect initially...the students look at those teachers as more official...but honestly, I feel like it's a no-brainer...we just like to fool ourselves into thinking that it's not about physical presentation, you know?"

Fast Forward to Tuesday morning.

So, I've just finished my Coffee with Christ (it's my morning devotional - once the people in small group pointed out a routine that I do every morning - drink coffee - I started pairing it up with reading the Word). So anyways, I am sitting here reflecting on my life, my family and whether I am an uber-superficial person...lol.

Moments that I think about include sixth grade when I wrote a "Perfectly Pretty and Popular manual." It was a manual about my "findings" on what makes a person popular, the cutest ways to wear a uniform, my favorite lip glosses, etc. I finished it in eighth grade and only shared it with a few girls. One in particular was a young lady that felt like a "loser" and came to me for how to get more friends. It was my way of helping her (don't forget I was in eighth grade) and it worked but we soon fell out because popularity killed the cat. I think the people forget that pretty is great and popularity is fun but SUBSTANCE, kindness, and authenticity are crucial elements. I didn't write that in the manual.
I am sure that my sorors of Delta Sigma Theta can tell about 101 "let's dress up, be present and throw great parties, events, and programs" moments from my term as president. Let's put it this way - it was my theme.

And then here lately, I had a friend of mine come at me because through conversation I told her that I didn't think she should wear sweatshirts and sneakers to work all the time. She let me know that she had more important things to worry about at the job. Her attitude and respnse screamed "get your priorities straight," so I backed down. I must say though, it didn't change the fact that it seems problamatic that someone would look slightly unorganized and dishoveled at work. Here is my mindset: when I think of someone that I want to work on a project, I would prefer the person that can keep themselves together, because let's face it - when you take care of yourself on the outside, people not only assume that you can take care of your business but they also tend to think you can take care of their business. That's what I think anyways and what my daddy taught me. I mean, if you don't have enough time to keep yourself together - do I really think you have enough time to handle this big special promotion-bound project?

All this to say, I have grown to believe that even when times are tough, when life hits you like a ton of bricks, when you literally feel like you can't walk... get up, pray up, dress up and take a step towards improvement. We all have major flaws...but the last thing I need is the world to see my internal chaos on the outside.

Now to say that I get my attitude on life NATURALLY is a complete understatement. Let's just say that this apple don't fall far from the generational tree...AT ALL. I come from generations of women that dress the part and men that fall victim to high expectations. Let's just say this - TRUE STORY:

My great grandmother literally wore silk robes, colorful dresses, jewels and had a professional do her manicure, pedicure, and her hair until the day that she died at 101. Five of her last years, she was on a feeding tube and was in and out of consciousness. But even laying in her hospice bed, she wouldn't have had it any other way.

It's just the Yancey woman's way. Even when I think about taking care of a family - the idea of shopping them and feeding them is what I think about. I think about making sure that my family are prayed up, well feed and leave the house looking their bests. It's just who I am. So, I guess at the end of it all - call me superficial if you like...

Popular Posts