Proud of MY MAN!



The other day, I was talking to a woman that happened to say, "you must be so proud of Mike with him being in grad school and all!" She went on to say how proud she was of her man for going through with his graduate degree. I agreed with her and dismissed myself from the conversation but as I walked home from work today, I reflected on how proud of Mike I truly am. But to be honest, although his MBA is amazing in my eyes the truth is the memory that stuck out in my mind was from a few years ago.

It was the summer that we got married and we were first establishing date night. I remember throwing on a pair of heeled sandals, a white shirt, a pair of skinny jeans, my hair was freshly done - straight with a swoop in the front, and I was still wearing acrylic nails. Mike was wearing a white tee, jeans and some sneakers. Mike was trying so hard to find a spot close to the restaurant because I didn't want to walk too far in my heels that he almost parked in an illegal spot by the hospital. Once we realized it was an illegal spot, we drove blocks away from the restaurant (I didn't want to be dropped off at the restaurant...I hate waiting around food). So we had a hike to get to the restaurant.

Anyways, as we were walking we saw a woman begin panicking. People on the street stood around. As we got closer, we realized the woman was screaming and trying to pull something...someone up. Everyone stood around gaping. Blood was on the sidewalk...it was coming from a little girl's head. The mother tried to pick her up, but had a baby in her hands. Her friend ran out of the house...towel in hands. She, too, was panicking. I began to panic...blood coming from that girl's head. Mike unattached me from his arm. He grabbed the towel from the friend, put it to the little girl's head, picked the little girl up, and began running. "I will get her to the hospital," he said. The mother shook her head, handed her baby to her friend, left her bag, groceries, and keys on the ground, her front door open and began running behind Mike. She was crying but running fast.

Taking Mike's lead, I began picking up the woman's belongings and following after them. Her friend closed the door and followed me. By the time, I got to the block, I saw Mike still running full speed to the hospital and the lady following behind him. As I walked into the hospital, the lady with touching her daughter, who was now laying on a stretcher. The friend ran past me to the lady and her daughter.

I prayed for the little girl and then looked up in enough time to catch the eye of the hero in the situation, who was walking towards me, slightly sweating.

"Let's go eat, girl."

"Anything for you."

Enough said.

Popular Posts