Jose Narosky : "We protest against unjust criticism, but we accept unearned applause"


I hate criticism. I hate when things are not perfect. I am much like Noel Coward, "I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise." I am of the generation, "hater" - if you aren't appreciatin' - you hatin'

I feel like criticism holds me down and it hurts too much to do any good. It's awkward. It's excruciating. And it makes me feel like I'm not good enough - like you don't like me - love 100% of me or don't love me at all. I want to lash out at the person handing the criticism, because like me that person is imperfect and if we are handing out little criticism-gifts - I'll take their gift, if they will take mine. We can have a big criticism party. The only time I want criticism is when I ask for it (and most of the time I know the answer - I know what the critique will be). Other than when I ask for criticism, when I'm in a "I want to get better" mood, don't give it to me.

But today, I read this in the study section of my bible (I'm doing a study of Proverbs): This was the dissection of Proverbs 9:7-10
Are you a mocker or a wise person? You can tell by the way that you respond to criticism. Instead of tossing back a quick put down or a clever retort when rebuked, listen to what is being said. Learn from your critics; this is the path to wisdom.
Yikes. First thought - yeah, but some times it's false feedback. Second thought(s) - the verse didn't say act on all criticism, it didn't even say take it all the way in and let it affect the way that one sees one's self. Third thought: Maybe next time instead of thinking through comebacks or thinking about my critic's flaws, I should just listen. Listen and then pray/meditate on whether there is an issue.

We'll see how I do. I still hate criticism, but if it means a step towards being wiser, I guess I can suffer through it.

Popular Posts