Merry Christmas.

This morning is the first Christmas morning (in my entire life) that I haven't awoken in Cincinnati. I have been able to sit in my own living room and think outside of "can't wait until everyone wakes up." The silence of my apartment is incredibly meditative and it sends me into a contemplative state...

Thinking first, about all the families enjoying their beautiful Christmas traditions - opening the rest of their gifts (because one was already opened last night), praying together, making their first cup of hot cocoa/coffee/or traditional hot brew, maybe they are still nuzzled up in bed... there are so many traditions I've heard of throughout the years...all of them symbolizing love and family - exactly what this holiday is about...BUT

As much as I would love to relish in the positive thoughts of cheery traditions, to no surprise my mind goes to those without. Now, usually (like most) I'm very focused on those without material. I donate money, I pray for children without gifts, donate gifts to families...and my heart breaks when I think about a family without heat on a white cold Christmas. This morning not so much. I know as a child there is nothing "worse" then not getting gifts on Christmas, well, maybe the only thing worse is admitting to friends that you got nothing after listening to their long list of gifties...but  as an adult I know that there is something far darker than not receiving material... far more sinister: feeling Unloved.

Those that are abused (verbally, sexually, physically, mentally, emotionally), exploited, neglected, rejected, lonely...forced to do hanus acts...all on Christmas. Where their memories will never be of love and tradition, but instead dysfunction and pain.

Lord, I pray for those that are in a harsh circumstance (esp. children) that You give them a feeling of such great peace, joy, and calm. I pray that You give them a moment of happiness today - a memory that they will retell for years...I pray that You use me and all of those that have love to be a vessels of that unknown light. I pray that today while we walk the streets, drive around, go from here to there - we take a moment to be a blessing to those around us - never knowing who may need their moment of love....that we give the gift of love this Christmas.

I know it's technically not Your birthday, Lord...but it's the day in which we celebrate it. So, Lord, may my gift be to You my love...


Popular Posts