I miss sleep overs...

Although I loved high school and college sleep-overs with the bestie(s), I really miss elementary style slumber parties.

I miss when the sleep-over was the major event - girls only, ice cream, sleeping bags, whispering, snacks, haunted tells, pinkie promises, Blockbuster movies (that featured crush-worthy male leads), doing one another's makeup, playing in our hair, and prank calls. I miss sleep-overs with five or more girls. I miss laughing all night - sooooo hard that you kinda tinkled a little (I know that's kinda gross), dancing and singing contests, talking about "big girl" stuff, being asleep by 1 am, waking up to breakfast and goodbyes. I loved saying goodbye to the girls in the morning - I was always ready to start my day.

I miss getting ready for them with my mom. I wasn't always allowed to sleep over other people's homes, so my mom was super generous about letting me throw slumber parties. I loved getting the plastic utensils - all based on theme, thinking through the desserts, picking out the movies, and telling her who I wish I didn't have to invite.

When I did go to other people's slumber parties, I miss the feeling in the morning - when it was time to go. Knowing how much fun I had, but always being ready to go home...( Kenny and I both had a habit of calling our parents early in the morning -  never any later than 7 am - so they started just coming early). I knew the conversation my parents would have by heart - "do you mind if we show up a little early to pick up Shelby?" The parent would always agree - relieved they had one less child to watch. I loved waking up hair all over my head and seeing my mom or dad waiting for me... hugging all my friends, waiting as my mom finished "grown up conversation-time," climbing in the car and running my mouth about all the fun and telling my parents all the "secrets" that were shared. By the time we reached home, I'd climb right in bed to fall asleep, wake up to a hot shower/bath, breakfast, and Kenny/family time.

I think this summer - I may throw a slumber party circa 1992. A sleep-over that starts at 7 pm and ends at 8 am.  A party that includes cupcakes/s'mores/ice-cream/old school treats, pajamas, sleeping bags, and a childish sense of fun... why? BECAUSE darned - I miss sleep-overs!








Popular Posts