The One Quantitative Goal That's Juuuuuust Right.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Goldilocks. She went for a walk in the forest. Pretty soon, she came upon a house. She knocked and, when no one answered, she walked right in. At the table in the kitchen, there were three bowls of porridge. Goldilocks was hungry. She tasted the porridge from the first bow:
This porridge is too cold!  (google images)
(
This porridge is too hot!  (Insanity Website)
This porridge is juuust right! (google images)
I stopped writing quantitative goals around three to four years ago. For me quantitative goals felt extremely superficial - "I will go to the gym 5 days out of the week." When I didn't make the goal - I was upset and thus put an arrow through the bulleted item. The "arrow" meant that the goal was officially thrust into the "next year" goal list.

This said, for the last few months - I've been looking for a big project or goals. The goals/project could not have anything to do with work.

At first, I wanted to get into puzzles. Start with a mildly difficult puzzle and work my way up to a crazy hard puzzle.

Next it was INSANITY® - the workout not the mental state. Nothing like working out and accomplishing nine weeks of ridiculous workout sessions.

Then I got my mind wrapped around creating kitchen furniture. I've always enjoyed working with wood and Mike is quite the handy man, so I thought this would be awesome.

But then I got an even better idea - remember when we were in school and had to read a certain amount of books and write book reports? I USED TO LOVE THAT. In fact, my mom used to give me and Kenny additional summer reading (and yes, we had to do book reports as well). All this to say, I found my challenge/project/goal: I WILL READ OVER 35 BOOKS THIS YEAR. I figure I will have around 56 hours/week to read a book (give or take) - given I sleep for 8 hours, work 50 hours, and eat dinner one hour.  Because that 56 hours is extremely tight  - I've given myself room - therefore I need to read a book within (on average) 10 days. Totally doable...right?



GUIDELINES:
  • To make it very school like - I will write a report (blog post) on each book and will reward myself after every 10 books I read.
  • If  When I hit 35 books - there will be a huge prize awaiting myself :) not sure what though. 
  • Minimum pages to be counted as a book is 50 pages.
  • SLACKER CLAUSE: After every 300 pages - it counts as another book. For instance - my bible is 1540 pages, this would count as five books.
  • I will read at least two books totally out of my comfort zone. 
  • I will read at least one book from each genre 
    • Poetry
    • Nonfiction:
      • Informational
      • Autobiography
      • Biography
    • Fiction: 
      • Fantasy
      • Realistic Fiction
      • Historical Fiction
      • Traditional Literature
      • Mystery 
      • Science Fiction
If you have books on your goal list or are interested - please let me know - I'd love to have a partner in crime :)

Popular Posts