Lisa Ling.

In  2000(ish) - I found one of my professional role models: Lisa Ling.

When she quit The View to become an international reporter - my admiration grew. I watched all of her special reports and read all of her articles. As a journalism student with a minor (one credit short of a major - y'all know I had to say it) in political science (specifically international politics), I found myself constantly channeling this amazing woman.

I would sit in the newspaper office - writing about local Oxford news (listening to Norah Jones) drinking a Pumpkin Spiced Coffee from the UDF's cappuccino machine (Ohio folks stand up) - thinking "wow, I can't wait until I am an international reporter - I'll probably be cool with Lisa by that point (we are just ten years apart)."

Then life happened.

I'm no longer that young crazy journalist excited about doing ride-alongs with the police or fighting to do "riveting" interviews with Spike Lee, Bebe Moore Campbell (shortly before she died), Coretta Scott King (didn't get the interview but got to cover a small group conversation - you win some/you lose some), and more. It's been over seven years since I sucked up my own sadness and pain and wrote about a missing Alzheimer victim's remains (shortly after my grandfather died).

Almost six years later, I no longer sit around thinking about how I am going to change the world; how I am going to shine a light on injustice or even risk my own life for the lives of strangers.  I rarely even sit around and think of "celebrity" influences.

However today instead of meditating on the future,  I'm reflecting on my past...thinking about dreams...God's destiny and purpose for my life...and who I am as a woman...and I couldn't help, but think about my dear friend Lisa Ling.

Popular Posts