You mean there's really nothing that you can do?

 

Here lately I've been reading, watching, and talking about/to people who love someone on drugs. They all know and do "nothing" (meaning actively trying to get their loved one off of drugs), but they also adamantly speak of their strong love for their [substance abusive] daughter/husband/best friend.  Let's be clear, I've never knowingly dealt hands on with a loved one that abused substances and so I have no idea the feelings that come with that fight, but I can't help but wonder whether the hopelessness and helplessness that seems to surround those that I've recently come across is... I don't want to say "real"... but really, you can't help your loved one (of the same age or younger) beat their addiction? I mean, I understand not being able to help your mother or stepfather, but your husband/best friend?

You have to sit around in the same house/apartment/room and see your loved one do drugs - possibly kill themselves? Really? I can't imagine that feeling. I can't imagine feeling like there's nothing that I can do - I have to just accept that person's fate. A grown person is a grown person...but nothing...



Popular Posts