Protestors vs. Wall Street vs. Me.

So, I was a New York teacher. A New York teacher that thought that my brother on Wall Street made way too much money. I literally thought it was an injustice that a 22 year old that did not dedicate himself to the betterment of our country (the way that I was) made so much money. Yes, I know they do not make that much per hour - so hire more people and work less hours. And I would like to say that he didn't work that much more than me and many of the teachers that I know - no, we didn't stay in the school building until early morning hours, but you could catch us on gchat after midnight burning that midnight oil. Working for our students.

So there is no surprise that I TOTALLY get the protesters.As I walked through the crowds and heard the chanting and read the signs (Mike and I were on our way to meet some of his colleagues), I got overwhelmed with happiness! "GOOD FOR US! Average Americans - 99 FREAKIN' PERCENT!" They were going to hear our voices. I felt unity during my quick breeze through the crowds. Well, that was until Mike decided that he wanted to take me on a romantic quiet dinner on Wall Street... The protesters came.

We were sitting on a high deck. I felt unity once more..."FORGET ALL THESE SUITS (business men) IN THIS RESTAURANT! Although I am eating with them - I AM NOT ON THEIR SIDE! I am a spy! I am a wolf in sheep's clothing - I am amongst the enemy and they have no idea! Mike and I are for the cause!" In fact, I decided to stand up during dinner and look down at my comrades and then the weirdest thing happened... They started flicking me off. Flicking us all off. Chanting at me! And as I felt betrayed - I soon realized: my brother is in finance, my husband works for a financial company, my dad is in finance. FINANCE is my milk and honey - it's what put me in school, what pays my rent, and what keeps the men in my family afloat. HECK, it's what affords me the luxury of being the 99%. So, at that moment, I sat down, put my napkin in my lap, and asked to see the dessert menu.

Popular Posts