Making Macaroons...

Some of my Macaroons
The chef was not in today, but he sent direct orders for me to create a WHOLE buncha macaroons. In five different colors and flavors. I hate making bulk macaroons - scale, mix, sift, mix, pipe, sit, bake, rotate, bake, make filling, fill, cool, and set out. They are time consuming and take a lot of brain power - consistency, consistency, consistency...


I didn't want to do the macaroons. Someone else needed to make them. I ALWAYS DO THE MACAROONS. Dang'on'it.

But of course, I didn't back talk or ask someone else to do them. I smiled at the woman handing me the piping tip, put my head down and began the process - scale, mix..

Why did I do them without arguing - you ask? Actually you don't ask. Why don't you ask? Because you get it. We all do the parts of the job that we don't want to do. Why? A paycheck, we love the other parts of our job, fear of dismissal, need to be the best...many reasons.

I guess it's the same way that I see "wifely duties." Let me be clear, I don't agree that there are set rules for wives. But what I do think is that in a relationship, we all know  (whether through communication, time, or simple realizations) what we've signed up for.

For instance, I was reading an Essence magazine article. It was a guys/gals conversation around sex and relationships. The question was around men cheating, because their women don't try new things in the bedroom. All men disagreed that a man would cheat, because of that. In fact, the women and men said that a man cheating is because a man wants to cheat. BUT on the flip side, the men all said that a major issue would arise if the sex was on a decline - especially when there has been an expectation of frequent sex. Simply stated - according to the gentlemen - if you used to have sex three times a week, jumping to three times a month - may pose a major issue in one's love life.

After hearing the men talk about this issue - one woman discussed her disbelief of how many of her married friends complain about their husbands' nagging them about sex. And her point was - "hello" you are supposed to have sex with your husband.

When reading this, I giggled and made excuses (in my head) for my fellow women (headaches, not in the mood, a lot on one's mind, etc) - but then it hit me -  in true "Shelby" mumbo-jumbo fashion...
Having sex, being a listener,  washing the dishes, or giving compliments...whatever it is...comes with the territory. No, I don't want to do it, but guess what - who cares? I need to suck it up (ha!) and make the freaking macaroons...
Why? Because the job is amazing and because I want tenure... and heck, once finished the macaroons are really cute and tasty.

Popular Posts