Update on Sandy.

I thought this image was such a representation of how I was feeling - so I snapped it.




Last, you guys heard, I was in an apartment with three other people. No electricity. One flashlight. Tons of candles. No hot water. Well, Wednesday, I woke up. Water was freezing. Apartment was freezing. Apartment complex was pitch black - I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Outside was pitch black - someone bombed an ATM right around the corner. We are still blessed - around us neighborhoods are underwater. David, Mimi, and I go a place where there is soooo much water. We just look. The nearest place for coffee or anything hot to eat is 45 min. away - from our knowledge. We just moved to New Jersey. Family members and close friends, are usually 20-40 min. away - due to floods and traffic they are now over five hours away.


We are blessed. So many people reached out. Went to the nearest store to charge my phone - over 20 new messages.

Every hotel is booked in New Jersey. There are four of us - no where to stay comfortably. Although there are many offers - it doesn't feel feasible.

Two young teachers had a tree fall on top of them as they walked the dog. A 23-year old stepped outside and accidently stepped in a water puddle with an electrical wire - she burned for 30 min. before the police were able to reach her. Meanwhile her father felt funny and called her on her cell. An off-duty police officer drowned in his basement - trying to save his family. There are over 40 other stories of people loosing loved ones. The death toll is still rising. We are blessed.

Wednesday night there was a slight emergency situation in our apartment. All is well now, by the grace of God. Thursday we woke up to 10 more days of this circumstance. The power people told us a day, but now have to push it back 7 days. I can't take it. We are colder. Hungrier. And the apartment complex is emptying out. People are going to be with loved ones. My hair is a mess - I can't wash my hair in the cold. My stomach hurts from junk food (sodium). Our nerves are bad. My face has broken out considerably...but I'm alive...I have family with me... I don't want to complain

But we can't stay...we have to leave...

We do. We get out of there. I am back home in Cincinnati - coffee, comfort, warmth - and I feel so grateful. Part of me feels like I gave up. Like I didn't stay strong - like those that can't leave. Those that are forced in doors. Those that have no one...I feel like I wasn't strong enough to suffer through....

But God is good and I'm home. There will be more updates later. Love you all. I pray that you are safe, warm, and loved.

I have pictures that I will post later. But as of now - this is all. All my best.

Popular Posts