The nine words that changed my life.

Today marks me and Mike's four year wedding anniversary; however it was Jan. 27, 2001 when we officially started dating. I was a junior in high school and he was a senior. 

For 10 1/2 years... I've loved Mike Steel


Back in 2000, I saw Mike at a football game and thought he was SO gorgeous. I asked several people to hook us up at the game (yes, mom and dad I was after him), but long story short no luck there. Months later, I saw him again at the movies. I was with my girl Tasha. I didn't know Mike was the same person, but I did know that I was looking at one of the cutest boys I had ever seen. So when I walked by him and he waved at me, all I could do was giggle and walk by him. I had to have one more look, so I looked at him again. When we was still looking at me and waving, I couldn't help but giggle again BUT kept on walking. But one last look for the road, yep he was still looking and waving and I kept walking. Until my final look. He was right behind me. My first question, "how old are you?" His answer "17, you?" "16" After that I don't remember anything, but writing my number on a "Hello Kitty" post it (he still has it).

Months later, after I told him I would NOT make-out with him in his car if I wasn't his girlfriend (see mom and dad you raised me right)...OKAY...OKAY... I said, I would not CONTINUE to make out with him until he made it official...his response "fine, you might as well be my girlfriend then." And that was that, I became Mike Steel's first girlfriend (and the first girl he took out on dates lol) with those simple unromantic words. Nine words that have taken me on a journey of belly-aching laughs, tragic break-ups, romantic trips, many many firsts, moments of my deepest happiness and joy, sadness, heart breaks, pure magical utopia, and the greatest love of my life.

As I tell Mike, he was God's greatest gifts to me. He is one of my most significant examples of God's promise and he is the man of my dreams (like I really dreamed of him)...okay... I wasn't going to do this but I'm getting emotional and want to be completely honest (only Mike, God and possibly my mother (if she found the contract) know this):

When I was really really really young,  I made a blood contract (yes, I pricked my little finger) with God after witnessing a few things that really disturbed me. I remember sitting at my little table. I was upset, crying, and listening to music. I told God, that I didn't have to be married, unless the man was perfect for me. I promised God that I wouldn't have sex until I got married, but if I fulfilled my promise He had to bless me with "him." 

After having this conversation, I had several dreams in which I saw my "dream guy." Throughout growing older, I dated different guys that I really liked. I even went through periods of "I'm never getting married - I'm going to be a cool nun...or live in New York and just have fun." However when I met, Mike there was this instant attraction and even my parents noticed that something was different. Even during our break-ups, I felt like something deeper than just love was missing. All this to say, that I always remembered my contract with God and kept my side of the bargain. So on the day that I got married, I sat alone in a convent and I had a conversation with God about our contract. Needless to say, God owes me nothing but He's good and He stays true and so not only did He come through on His side of the bargain, but has blessed me beyond my dreams and my expectations. He's blessed me with four of the best years of my life - hand and hand with my soul mate and for that I will forever be grateful and His faithful servant!

Popular Posts