Freedom Feels Like THIS.

I went on a long bike ride this morning throughout Brooklyn. Got lost a few times, but it was absolutely invigorating. In my head and out loud, I continually exclaimed, "thank you, Jesus." There were no other words or people to express my feelings. Even now, it's hard to describe how I felt with words, but I guess I could try... maybe... freedom or more like reckless abandonment of reality, ummmm...I guess the best words would be...stress free.

 Here lately, I've not been feeling too stress-free. I've been feeling very burdened by time. I feel like I'm constantly running (late) some where or to see someone and I'm feeling exhausted from this crazy chase.

Well let me explain my irritation: I hate lateness! I love being early. I don't like procrastination - mostly because I've never been good at it. I'm not my best when something is down to the wire or when I am running late on a deadline, a meeting, or a brunch. My brain goes into overdrive and I stop thinking rationally. I know so many people that are driven by that - that uh last minute - running late thing. And I get the excitement and the thrill (or kinda get it) - but it's not for me. I've always been the person to work on the project when I get it - never had to do all nighters in college. I like to get to the meeting before it starts - sitting comfortably with a coffee and a treat. 

 I like to be the dern early bird that gets that dang'on worm or at least gets to sit comfortably as everyone piles in.

But in the past year, I've been late with (it seems) everything and I'm really feeling restricted by Father Time - I need to be liberated.

All this to say, after my (overextended) bike ride, I began to do a mental checklist again of all the things I had to do in turbo-time. My one big priority was to wash and straighten my hair. And of course it took longer than expected to do this - so I hop on my bike and run (late) to my meeting with my friend, Peter, and his son, lil' Benji! It was heavenly - we set at a cafe running our mouths. When it was time to go - I frantically go through  a checklist of'aboutta hundred and one errands I had to run and remembered that  I wanted to stop by... IT STARTS POURING.

Torrential down-pour raining. Like rain is hitting my face like darts. My hair is ruined. My errands are cancelled. My day officially unproductive. Now, my afternoon consist of sitting at home with the windows and back door open - having a cuppajoe - reading both a book and the newspaper (some call it skills - others A.D.D) only taking a break to talk to mi madre.

The rain is loud and relaxing. I feel like God saw my imprisonment and unlocked the door. So even with a wet head, soggy clothes hanging over the shower, and a fruitless (not talking about the food) afternoon - I thank Him, because I feel free.
One of the artworks by inmates from Pentonville prison on show in the Freedom of Art exhibition in St Pancras hospital, London. Photograph: Martin Godwin (read more here )

Popular Posts