I love this picture

It reminds me of how confident I was.

I knew I could be or do anything. I was spunky, spicy, and full of energy. Probably way too much personality for a young girl - I got in a lot of trouble. But no matter how many adults (outside of family) told me that I needed to "tone it down" (in so many words), I didn't. I was self-assured. I just knew I was pretty and that I, Shelby Lynne Stone, could take on the world.

I had no shame stansdng on the poolpit telling my testimony or singing a solo in front of a full church. Or telling a speech or reading a piece that I wrote. I just knew I could be the president, a Jamaican bobsledder, and a nun. I could do it all...

As I get older, I get farther away from this girl. This young girl with her hands on her hips and a big smile. I get more humble and "realistic" and God knows, I'm happy that I've grown more humble...but boy, I miss her so much.

Can anyone else relate? Or am I the only one that seems less self-assured and confident as I get older?

Popular Posts