In Union Square...


Nana and I got together to have a devotion. To talk about our faith, our lives and how our faith and our lives should be intertwined. It was 90 degrees, so we mad dashed to a cool environment. Over two iced drinks (hers a hazelnut milkshake/mine a mango lemonade icy), we talked about lessons learned through sermons, devotional articles, and missions trips...


We left the comfortable Max Brenner (thank you, Fancy, for the introduction) and made our way through the hot streets of New York - where we saw the most beautiful thing...



I noticed the man behind the Halal food cart tell his customers, he needed a moment. There was a line of about three to five people. The young man, mid to late twenties, pulled out a cardboard box. The box now resembled a mat. He sat it gently on the ground. He got on top of the mat in what most resembles (yoga speak) Child's pose. He began to pray...

Right at that moment, something in me hungered for that (not the food). "That's one of the things wrong with Christian faith," I murmured to Nana. She agreed, "yeah, we are way to busy trying to hide our faith than to put it out there like that. We don't want to seem weird." She was right - I ached for what that man had. I yearned for the discipline and dedication to set everything aside...my comfort (dirty streets, hot weather, cardboard box), my "image", my money (some of the people in line simply walked away and got food at the next food cart), my life...for 10-15 min.

We continued to walk and talk about our faith. Then we reached a sitting point in the shade. There was a rally going on and artists everywhere. So many people expressing themselves.  I couldn't help but notice this amazing spot in the center of Union Square... it was perfect for prayer. I had so much on my mind - so much to be grateful for, so many to pray for, so many sins to repent for...so much.  What a beautiful thing, to pray in Union Square park - in the grass or a sidewalk...

But instead I just sat there.





Popular Posts