Real Life Love Story

We met, appropriately, on the dance floor. I had worked up to the point where I would do some group dances, and there was one called the Barn Dance where the guys form a big circle and the girls form another one inside it, and you rotate around with different partners, whoever’s in front of you. When Brenda and I paired up, we both started laughing, because we had been building up to the moment for so long.

Brenda seemed way out of my league. There were a lot of things I did not know about her at the time–she was four years older than I was, had been in the marines, was going to nursing school and had two kids–but she sure looked good in that outfit.

…During the last dance of the night, she dropped a bomb on me: “I want you to know I’m a divorced mother of two.” I paused, not sure how to react.

“If I never hear from you again,” she added, “I’ll understand.”

I don’t know if I took that as a challenge, but I certainly wasn’t scared away by the fact that she had two kids…So the next morning I decided to get a closer look at Brenda Meoni and her two kids.

Brenda’s son Zachary was three at the time. He had been dropped in the bathtub by his father as a baby and suffered quite a bit of brain damage. After being left from her first husband, she was getting by, by living with her parents, using food stamps and student loans. Brenda’s strong faith in God got her through it and the Doctors were amazed that her son had lived through the accident.

On the first date, he showed up with a rose and asked to meet her children.

On my first visit to the home of my future wife, I gave more attention to her son than I did to her…I was hooked…Jesse, who was about nine months old at the time, didn’t really take to me at first, but she was such a beautiful, sweet natured child that she, too, captured my heart.

They were married four years later...WHO (you ask)? No one other than Cardinal's Quarterback Kurt Warner. This is just the brief version, there are many more twists and turns in this love story, like his rejection from football teams (he worked as a bagboy), his growing relationship with God and the death of both her parents in a Tornado. There is also a fictional story about these two, but the real one is just as good.

This story is from an excerpt of his book, but you can read it at: http://royalfarris.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/kurt-warner-all-things-possible/

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/warner.asp

“She’s been one of the few people that’s been with me from the beginning,” Warner said. “We were just telling each other that we loved each other. This is unbelievable and there’s no one I’d rather share it with.”
- Kurt

Popular Posts