Style Icon: The Late Aaliyah

The day that Aaliyah died, before I was awake long enough to see it on t.v., FOUR people called to see if I was okay. Dramatic, yes, but the truth is very few people didn't know about my love for Aaliyah. She was the first star that I completely related to style-wise. I was a girlie tom-boy, that never fit in anyone's box, and the fact that this beautiful girl was able to perfect her individual look drew me to her.

I loved to see what she would do next. She was my first look at style as an individual thing, a way to express yourself before opening up your mouth. It was cool to see that a person was able to choose clothes that accentuated the complexity of her personality. She wasn't in any one's box: she was pretty and feminine but had an edge - she looked independent, rebellious, beautiful, soft and strong! She perfected her style without being over the top, it's all about simplicity. She will always be a style icon in my book...


Popular Posts