LOVING this Quote


This week, I am reading tuesdays with morrie, by Mitch Albom. I chose this book, after my mom told me how amazingly uplifting it was...not to mention it was about a journalist and just an all around good read. I must say that (so far) I must agree ... although I am only on page 52, I've already stumbled on a few gems. For instance a quote in the book literally made my skin crawl:

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things that they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

VENT ALERT:

This really spoke to me because so many times I get down on myself when I think about where I thought I would be...who I thought I would be...and...blah blah. And to be honest, I chase that person that I saw in my dreams (and the superficial aspects of her life) and the more that I chase her...the more frustrated I become at my "lack" of progress.

There are so many days that I need to simply step back and ask myself - am I really living a meaningful life? Would a job, popularity, power, money make my life more meaningful? If I got my dream job and worked 100 hours a week would I be fulfilled? Would I be living my purpose? The answer is NO...and like I've said many times, LOVE is the most imporant thing a person can have - it inspires passion, fulfillment and happiness...love for God, self, friends, family, community and the planet.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, [1] but have not love, I gain nothing.4. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.



Popular Posts