This is why I love Jim Caldwell

After he made a quote that made it in my wall of inspirations (see the right side of the screen) - I had to know more about Jim Caldwell. So, I looked him up and found the most beautiful speech by him and thought - might as well publish it HERE. Read this section of his speech:

“Another question that one may ask is, ‘Who is Jim Caldwell?’ Number one, I am a Christian, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I try to live my life accordingly. Number two, I am a son. My father Willie is a retired General Motors employee of 35 years, who also worked two jobs and still found time to somehow coach my brother and I on our little league team. I never heard him complain, never heard him make any excuses. My mother Mary, a retired nurse, spent most of her years in service in geriatric care. She was a nurse’s aid, an LPN, an RN and rose to supervisor of a nursing home. The two of them set a great example for me to live by, to hard work and determination and resilience after disappointment along with strong Christian values. I am a brother. I have an older sister and a younger brother. I am a husband. You met my wife Cheryl of 31 years. She’s been a constant and loyal companion, and I’ve known her since I was 15 years old, so she probably knows me better than anyone else around except for my parents. She loves the game of football, has been part of it, has been a great support to me and certainly allowed me to perfect my craft, took care of our children and directed them while I was off either chasing recruits or working in the office studying film during those early days. I am a father. I have a son, Jimmy, who’s 30, a son, Jermaine, who’s 27, a son, Jared, who’s 25 and a daughter, Natalie, who’s 23. I am a grandfather. Jimmy and his wife blessed me with a grandson, James Caldwell III, a.k.a. Trey, who’s about 20 months old and certainly the joy of our life. As a matter of fact Cheryl is here with me often, but I became a second-class citizen after that baby was born."
I can't help but respect someone that defines his or herself not by his accomplishments or by her job, but by love... there is something beautiful about that, because that's how life is and what is important at the end of the day - love, relationships...

Popular Posts