Break Out: I Am An Artist


Cab driver (a distinguished and quirky looking gentleman in his mid-sixties) with the window down in fairly chilly weather.

"Hop in honey."

Me: (a quirky twenty something) running down the street to his cab. Cars are beeping at the cab because he hasn't pulled over completely...which is causing me slight anxiety as I run to his car.

Me: "Sorry I am trying to hurry..."

Cab driver: "Don't worry...don't run...walk, honey. Don't mess up those purple shoes of yours."

Am I Will Smith, because 'if anything I could say this cab was rare...'

You let them wait," the cabby said as he let the car sit for two extra seconds. "Let me guess...you are...you are an artist? Am I right? You are an artist?"



"Ummm...noooo...I work at ---" I wish I was an artist - it's what I am striving for. I want to be a writer or maybe a...

"Oh well excuse me, Dear. I am an artist - I am a playwright, a poet and published writer. I'm usually good at picking out other artists."
"Really?!?"... because you look like a cab driver to me.

"Oh yes," he says as he recites his poems and shows me documents from his plays. "I also do public speaking."

"Where do you speak?"

"The public library...there are usually two to three people that show up but it's a start. I am looking at breaking it big one day - I've been at this for over 40 years, even before I got to this country. In fact, I was known in my old country. People loved my writings and plays and used to come around to hear me talk about them. You know some people see me driving this cab and assume that I am a cab driver, but I'm not. I drive a car to support my art and family.

As he continues to hand me posters about his plays, I begin to think about who I thought he was. I tried to define him - because he drove a cab I assumed he was a cab driver...why do we do that? We define ourselves and others by our day jobs? We place limitations on others, place them behind our bars and in our boxes...
But I am an artist - in fact, I am a playwright, poet and published writer who drives a cab. Enough about me. I can talk about my art all day, but what is it that you said that you do, honey?"

"I am an artist. I am a food, fashion and love writer..." Man, saying that I am an artist out loud felt so refreshing...it felt like I was breaking out.

Popular Posts