Single/married/wanna be married?

I recently received an e-mail from my mother with the subject line, "Single/married/wanna be married?"One of my mom's friends sent her this video and of course she sent it my way.

Now, let me first say that this video has some sections in it that are very different than what we are taught as women and men in 2010, but I think that's the part that makes me think the most. What is marriage? What are gender roles in the Christian marriage?

I know for my marriage, Mike and I don't wander too far or stick rigidly close to the rules of gender roles BUT we do try to align our marriage as close to God's vision as possible. Me, personally, I've always been attracted to a man's man. I like the man that wants to provide for his family, who is very decisive, who fixes things (or takes them to be fixed), who is a protector and who knows how to take control in the majority of situations - it's how my father is, my grandfather was, and it is traits in my husband...I consider myself a very strong woman and I don't see my man's strength as a "reducer of my strength." For me to know our roles helps make us a powerful couple together, helps avoid power struggles in certain areas, and helps our relationship move with fluidity and peacefulness - we both know where we stand, who we are, and what our role is. I understand that these roles change throughout our marital relationship - like what happens when children are added to the picture?

I can keep on running my mouth - but watch the video. I am sure there are going to be parts that offend, shoot there were parts that made me take a step back and reflect, BUT this is interesting.

My suggestion, listen to this when you have time to listen to it and then think about it. Hope you enjoy and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Popular Posts