Christmas Season Clothes Drop

"When reviewing The Fashion File: Advice, Tips and Inspiration From the Costume Designer of Mad Men, by Janie Bryant with Monica Corcoran Harel, with a foreword by January Jones, Christina Brinkly (Wall Street Journal Fashion Writer) says:

"Many of us approach getting dressed in the morning from a practical perspective—the most salient question being what looks good on our bodies. Janie Bryant, a Hollywood costume designer, begins in another place entirely. "Knowing your character is the key to cultivating your style."

I know that many of us our doing our seasonal or Christmas clothes donations. In fact, I have one friend (who will remain nameless) that I know is doing her closet cleanse and who suffers from the issue I am about to discuss...ha!

The issue is holding on!  While doing my closet cleanse, I hold on to a lot of things - thinking "what if." This year for Christmas, I've decided this will not be the case! My goal: To give more clothes than I keep.  I want to believe that some woman will be wearing fantastic clothes with a tag on it,  something only worn once or twice, or one of my all-time favorites.

However although I've picked the charity, I have a goal, and I've created a plan ... I'm still having trouble letting go! It's hard to let go of that shirt that you might just wear... or that dress that you only wore once, but you may be able to FIND a fancy event to go to... or chose which business pants you will keep (because you never really know, do you?)

But after reading that quote,  I was able to march right back into my closet, my "storage bin", and my dresser and ask myself does this shirt REALLY speak to my character (my lifestyle, my new personal style, my personality, my quick reach items)! So, now that my closet is [relatively] bare and I have no need for a storage bin, I can look at my clothes and say:

Not my real closet... but thought it could provide inspiration. 
1. There are a lot of women that are gonna be blessed with some fantastic clothes this season.
(if I can say so myself)
2. My closet looks so organized 
3. No guilt when I go shopping or receive a few fun pieces this Christmas ( my mom never fails me and Mama Steel is amazing with gift cards)
4. All of my clothes are my absolute favorite and are clothes that truly fit my body!
5. All of these clothes speak to my character during this season of my life and therefore speak strongly to my personal style!

To be honest, I've never felt sooooo stylish in my entire life. It's something about having a few key pieces that really let help you see who you are.

Hope this helps someone that is going through the same closet cleansing dilemma.

Popular Posts