Oh my! I'm turning into my mother.

The house is clean. I'm freshly showered from my morning run and weights. The third cup of coffee is piping hot and I am reading through the "Best Bets" picks within the LIFE and ARTS section of the Washington Post and looking forward to the weekend.  First Fridays in Dupoint Circle is the choice for tonight and I can't wait to look at art,  enjoy a few seasonal beverages and hors d'oeuvres with Mike, and wear a fantastically "dateable" seasonal outfit. 


However while reading the LIFE and ARTS pages, there is a nostalgic feeling that rises up in me... the feeling becomes more like deja vu, and then the "scene" becomes clear to me... I am becoming my mother. 


Growing up and to this day, there isn't a weekend that you don't find Lynne sitting with her cup of decaf and the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER.  Anyone that knows my mother knows that there isn't a movie that comes out that she doesn't know the reviews, location, and the story line to. If there is an event in Cincinnati  she knows about it. If there is a restaurant opening, her and my dad are there. Her calendar is always full with local events, openings, and new restaurants that she must try. 


Growing up, there was always a fun event that we were attending. Heck to this day, I receive a holiday itinerary of what "holiday events" are happening and where my mom would love to go. We all get these e-mails a month in advance. Prime rib will be served at Uncle Tony's then we will go to "BLAH BLAH" for their Christmas "BLAH BLAH."  Here lately, she has discovered the Groupon - so now, I get messages about half off massages and an exquisite dinner at "BLAH BLAH." 


I dunno it's funny, because the older I get the more that I do things and then take a step back and say "OH NO....I'M BECOMING MY MOM!" And I mean, I was your typical teenage girl that said "I will never be like my mom"...  AND NOW, no matter how much I try to get around it, there are so many similarities. It's nuts. 


I wonder if other people have these moments... where it's just like you look in the mirror, catch yourself saying something, or simply doing something and it hits you...I'm becoming my mom/dad? It's quite strange what kind of effect our guardians have on us :) 


Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend! I'll be back Monday - I'm gonna be restin' on my Sabbath. 


Love,
Shelby S.

Popular Posts