Life Changing "Aha" Moment

Known Fact #1: In the mornings, I like to have coffee and chat with Lord.

Known Fact #2: I'm obsessed with documentaries - whether in movie form, television form, book form, or magazine form (think: my beloved collection of National Geographic - that my mom threw away!!!)

Not-So-Known Fact: Since being younger, I've written my prayers. After all my self-evolved ramblings, I make a prayer list. This prayer list always consists of loved ones, known ones, prayer request.

Then I always pray for the unknowns, the people in situations that touch my heart - those that haunt my thoughts after watching documentaries (the sexually abused, prostitutes, the exploited and abused/neglected) and those that God has called us to pray for (for example: widows and orphans).

All this to say, while making my list. I began to ask for God to use me - to use me to help the voiceless and violated - and then He whispered something into my ear and for the first time my professional life began to make sense – He whispered, "you are in the position to help... I have you in the position."

Corny – probably. True – absolutely.

 All those years and all that time, praying for a chance to make a difference. Praying for a way to change the situations or lives of those that I watched. Visions of being a detective, an international journalist, (for a very brief period) the president, an attorney, a nun, a peace corps worker...careers that avenged the wrongs of society... working with those that “obviously” had been violated. All the while God had other plans. I am not (professionally) the woman that I visioned as a child – I am not wearing a uniform or making major policy decisions – but I am making a difference. I am working with those that I pray for. I am in a position that I’ve always prayed for – now time for me to roll up my sleeves, put on a smile, throw on my patience hat, and fill my tongue with love and kindness. It’s time for me to fulfill my destiny and to change the lives of others (while I allow them to change my life as well…).

 

 


Popular Posts