Reflection: Posting Ugly Pictures on Facebook...Selfish or a Mistake?

I mean, I get all the arguments for why it's okay to publish ugly pictures of friends. Heck, I've made a few of the excuses myself - my favorite (sometimes accurate/sometimes not) line is, "What! I didn't think that was bad picture of you" That line should be followed by, "because I was too busy staring at my stunning smile and how the light accentuates all my favorite features."

I will definitely give people room to publish pictures that they may not know are that bad, but my only thing is when it's obvious that it's a bad picture - why publish it? Like when it is really obvious - isn't it rude to put that picture up?!? Like for example (all these examples don't apply to me, but I will be the guinea pig in this situation):

1. I have a booger showing
2. I have something covering my front tooth
3. My black shirt is see-through (white bra showing)
4. I look 20 pounds heavier
5. My foundation is obviously totally different than my neck color
6. My skirt is hiked up by my purse
7. I am totally invisible due to the light or the dark
8. My hair is a HOT mess...
9. I haven't shaved my underarms
10. My zipper is down
11. My middle blouse button is open exposing my bra
12. My face or hands are OBVIOUSLY ashy
13. My face is oily...like extreme greasiness
14. I'm coughing
15. If I've accidently exposed myself (tummy, too much thigh, cleave)

I mean, is it too much to ask someone to sacrifice publishing the PERFECT picture of themselves to save face for me? I mean I have just as many people that I want to impress as you do! I want people to see that I am having fun, too! I have not lost it since college/high school! I am how you remember me BUT BETTER!

To be honest, I have been both the victim and the perpetrator of this crime and I'm not quite sure where the line is crossed...where the excuse, "I thought it was a good picture of you" is just a selfish excuse for me to self indulge and show how incredibly photogenic I was that day. Or is this a day...a generation...where we must shun the camera never knowing where the picture will turn up? EVEN IF IT IS A FRIEND TAKING IT...

Or maybe it's just me being self-critical?

As I enjoy the last of my donut crumbs and last gulp of Dunkin'...I continue to ponder...

Popular Posts