Block out everything, focus on the task and run


About a month ago, I went to talk to my chef about ways in which I can get better in this business.  It’s a conversation that I am used to having – I’ve asked the same question in all of my endeavors – I’ve asked my lifeguard manager, retail boss, Proctor and Gamble intern-manager, editors, principals, team leaders, manager/boss, and now my chefs – how can I be better?

I was looking for advice on building perfectly sculpted cakes, decorating chocolate candies without smudges, creating a silky white buttercream icing or key resources for food information, but instead I got:

Practice.  Keep your head down and work.

That’s it. We went on to talk about how she enjoyed my passion for food and my need to do well and if I continued to practice and work I would get better. But then she said something that I had heard many times, but this time it clicked:

You know, Shelby, everyone knows what you are thinking by your facial expressions.

She went on to tell me how she could tell that I was excited about testing flavors, making croissants and foccacia, and creating chocolates. But she could also tell I was annoyed and frustrated with assigned seats, a specific assignment or something that a fellow classmate said or did. She went on to say that I need to just put my head down and work. Don’t look up or let things frustrate you just keep your head down and work.

This reminded me so much of the advice my pastor gave years ago, advice which I tried to apply to all major decisions in my life, but never thought of it within the minute to minute moments. The pastor said, “when you get scared about the places God has destined you to go, just keep on walking. Don’t stop to think about it – just continue to take a step.”

It’s funny, because when I think about my workout schedule – I often go by the “just put my head down and work rule.” I never want to workout before I work out.  I literally have to clear my mind or think about the aftermath of the workout, put my shoes on, walk out the house, put on some earplugs and run. No thoughts, because I know the minute that I grumble the harder the workout becomes or the easier it is for me to talk myself out of it. I literally block out everything (aching legs, irregular breathing, excuses, and how hard it is), focus on the task, and run.












Popular Posts