I had to get spankings.

I think my first passion that I ever discovered was reading. I don't remember the moment when I discovered it was my love, but I remember teaching my brother (3 years my junior) how to read at a very young age. As my parents tell it, I let them know that reading was so fun and Kenny should know how. So I would sit Kenny, Mr. Bear, and other random toys around our Crayola table and teach them for hours how to read. Reading soon became Kenny's love as well - so much that Kenny and I both could sit around the house or our rooms for hours in solitary confinement reading books. Consuming them. We got the love of books from our father, whom can spend literally an entire day at a bookstore or up in his room sitting in his big chair reading. Growing up my mom wasn't much of a reader, although once Renny (the baby) became a teenager, my mom started being the go-to person for haute books of the season. After joining and leading a few book clubs, she started to enjoy talking about books and therefore had a conversation with the deli guy at the Supermarket, the waiter, her pool buddies, and the women that took her classes.

With this said, no punishment worked for me. Sitting in the corner was a time for my imagination to roam. I could spend a day in the corner and my mother has always been an over-concerned parent, so I was never without company, food, or water for too long. Then a few days in my room were paridise for me - no toys that's fine I could read, write, eat, and draw pictures. What parent takes away pens, paper, and books from their child, even if the child had a sass-attack on a teacher earlier that morning?

So, after realizing that room and corner stays were not a threat, but a luxury - my parents came to the conclusion that a spanking was the only threat that made my knees tremble.

For the last two weeks, Mike and I haven't had access to television and for the past week I've had no phone access in my cottage and I feel like I'm that little girl in Heaven again.

My days are filled with reading, long devotions, hanging out outside, baking fun summer treats, fixing up the cottage, and writing. Yesterday, I was so bold to take out four books from the library committing myself to read them in three weeks. It's like being transported to my eight year old self. Literally no worries, no distraction nor connection to real life... I'm in my own little world. I want to stay in this cocoon.

Popular Posts