Life's Passion - Love

My life's passion is definitely "love" - I know it's weird, but I fundamentally believe there is nothing more important than love. With that said, yesterday after having a conversation about "why my passion is love and not pastry arts school" with a few classmates (yikes), Mike and I decided to crack open "The Purpose Driven Life" and by "coincidence" we read this. It literally gave me goose bumps, so I had to share it. So out of love - I paraphrased a section from the book (chapter 16) Enjoy!

The Best Use of Life is Love
By Rick Warren
Summarized by me
Love should be your top priority, primary objective and greatest ambition. Love is not a good part of your life, it is the most important part. The Bible says, "let love be your greatest aim." It's not enough to say that I want to be more loving as though it's on your top ten list. Relationships must be the priority in your life above everything else. Why?

- Life without love is worthless. Paul says " no matter what I say, what I believe, what I do, I'm bankrupt without love." Many times we talk about finding time for our relationships - like relationships are something that must be squeezed into our schedules. But God says that relationships are what life is all about. Four of the ten commandments deal with a relationship with Christ, the other six deal with relationships with other people. All ten are about relationships. 

Later Jesus summarizes what matters most to God: Love God and love people. Relationships not acquisitions and achievements matter most in life. So why do we allow our relationships get the short end of the stick? When our schedules start getting busy, we start cutting down time, energy, and attention that relationships require. What's most important to God is displaced by what's urgent. 

Busyness is a great enemy of relationships. We become preoccupied with making a living, doing our work, paying bills, and accomplishing goals as if these tasks are the point of life. THEY ARE NOT. The point of life is learning to love - God and people. Life minus love equals zero. 

Popular Posts