If I could be I would be...

My 50s favorite housewife - my grandma!
A 50s housewife I would be. I'd live in New York, publishing  works under anonymous names. I'd throw fabulous parties on the weekend...all week I would prepare amazing dishes. I would supply several bakeries and grocery stores with homemade goods and of course jump at every food competition - recipe competitions and baking competitions.

 I would lunch with my other friends - all of which are home workers or have flexible jobs due to the times. Most of my friends would be housewives, although I would of course know and be friends with a women that were making ways in the corporate/nonprof/fashion sector. I'd volunteer at my local school and would attend local rallies against racist acts - segregation, etc. Attending lectures and speeches by anti-racism leaders would be a must! I'd volunteer constantly with my church, community, the arts (museum, plays, etc.), and with my friends that are on the cutting edge of environmentalism.

Bake sales at my children's school would consist of individual pecan pies. Each pie would be decorated with a little leaf made from a spiced linzer dough. My home would be  perfectly chaotic - enough chaos to show that I allow my children to live but organized and perfectly cleaned.  And of course every wall and piece of furniture would be many colors, but all of which pale. No microwave. And one small television set that our family would circle around every other night.  Every season would be represented by  home decor, jams, canned veggies/fruits, pies, desserts.

My children would come home to a snack and an hour of free time before homework time. No nanny...well, there would be a preferred babysitter for nights out with the hubby.

Outfits would always be incredibly feminine without being frilly and of course they'd be perfectly put together - just like my make up. I'd have a cigarette (not knowing the health issues) and a glass of wine at night. Family dinners every night, church every Sunday, and bridge are a must.

Popular Posts