Devotional: Tea Cupp Prayers

Joel Osteen - Daily Quiet Time

The last two months have been incredible: I've sat courtside at a Knicks game, ate food prepared and served by famous chefs in a room full of celebrities, I've bathed in the suns of Puerto Rico, laughed with my girlfriends, watched the most twisted movie ever at the Tribeca Film Feastival, and completely indulged in the beauty and blessings of pregnancy...that said...

In the quiet mornings or late at night, I feel slightly empty. I miss the Lord. Yes, I still attend church and I pray (and I know that He is with me), but let me be clear, I am not filling up my spirit (my innerwoman) with the delights of the Lord. My conversation, what I watch, listen to, and what occupies my mind are not Godly. I know it sounds as simple as "wake up early" or "turn off the television" -  but (EXCUSES ALERT) even when I do those things I find myself empty or wanting to be elsewhere (mainly bed).
  •  I don't like reading right now - I think my brain is exhausted.
  •  I have a Blackberry that won't connect to my car - so no Christian Pandora.
  • I already have to wake up sooooo early - so I go to bed super early and can't seem to wake up in the mornings.
  • There isn't much time in my day to take breaks.
  • I no longer live that peaceful life where there was "time" and "peace" and "brain energy" and "inspiration" to just sit around wtih a cup of jo' and read (outside at the park/at the kitchen table with the sunlight coming through the windows) devotionals.
Or so I say...

All I know is that I cannot continue this way. So, when I went online looking for devotionals for expectant mothers and ran across this...I stopped in my tracks...what needs to happen, Lord?

Toothpaste Troubles

But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit. Jude 1:20 (NKJV)
I am thankful for morning sickness. Morning sickness reminds me of the beautiful baby growing inside of me, an eleven year prayer finally answered! However, morning sickness makes me, well…sick!
I’ve never been this sick before with my other pregnancies. The littlest things can make me ill…like toothpaste.
Toothpaste, the mint cream that keeps away cavities, was always so refreshing before I became pregnant. Now, the smallest amount caught in the back of my mouth, can cause me to lose my supper, rendering my tooth brushing efforts useless.
This little tube called toothpaste makes me wonder, are there other things in life that seem beneficial, but may become hazardous? For example, cell phones and Facebook keep us in touch with friends and allow us to call for help, truly quite useful. But do they take us away from quiet time with Jesus? I have a niece who gave up Facebook for Lent (good job, Emily!). What else steals our time…the internet, morning paper, soap operas, movies, sports?? Perhaps we need to give them up regularly for time with the Lord.
I know I still need to use my toothpaste to keep away cavities, but I go easy on it now. Let’s also “go easy” on these other distractions that may be necessary, but can be harmful to our spiritual lives.
Today’s TEA CUPP: What necessity in your life is actually hurtful right now? What is keeping you from a pure walk with Jesus? Give it to Him! Give it up!
And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. Matthew 5:30 (NKJV)

Popular Posts