Traveling...a moment in the thoughts of me...

Fly me to the moon Let me play amoung the stars Let me see what spring is like On jupiter and mars
                                                                                  -Frank Sinatra

This is totally random...I didn't start here...I just let my fingers lead the way. No editing in this...no rereading...don't want to change a thing. Hope you can understand my ramblings :)


My hubby's job takes him all over the country and the world. He travels from India, LA, Panama, Toronto, London, other places in Europe and the US... it's seriously the coolest job ever. Not to mention, he gets to stay at the best hotels in the world.

I would love to just spend a year traveling around the world, staying at great hotels, and eating the finest foods ever. Just a meal of wine, smoked cheddar, olives, and toast while lying in a huge bed (that I don't have to make) with reading material...sounds incredible.  

There isn't a big family meal had in the Stone household where my father doesn't bring up - the moment when I told him that I wanted to take a year or two and travel around the world after college. He laughed and told me to get real. He found that ridiculous. I had told him about my traveling aspirations for forever - but when I was a freshman in college and stayed true to my two childhood dreams (NYC and traveling throughout the world)...he let me know that NO child of his was going to be jobless after college - so I majored in journalism and international politics - my job would be to travel around the world writing. I would start in the PeaceCorps...it all sounded great...until my mother got really emotional about me living in a different country all by myself (I even tried to do a semester abroad and it was just too difficult for her)...okay, okay...it was my mother and my love for Mike...and the obvious need in America... that kept me in America and moving to New York City (my love) with Teach For America. I'm happy with my decision, but....still when I see Mike getting ready in the mornings to board a flight (bags in hand, cool outfit, black car waiting in the front), while I stumble in the dark with the coffee machine in my pjs...getting ready for my daily routine...I feel a twinge of envy.
 
I love this line (from April’s issue of Travel Leisure, one of my new fav. Magazines) written by Luke Barr,
"At Plage Keller, meanwhile, athletic waters adjusted our bright-yellow beach umbrellas, tracking the sun throughout the day, and took orders for refreshments, drinks, and lunch. My wife and friends and our kids sprawled on our chaise longues drinking Badoit and reading Gillin Flynn and Hilary Mantel novels. We were on vacation. We were in Provence.”
I love those lines. Anyways, it could be the fact that I was conceived in Jamaica…but traveling is in my veins. My mother actually says that conception explains – a whole lot of my “granola-y” personality – “me and your father were in a very natural phase: trips to Jamaica, barefoot days, running and picnicking in parks, pitching out, living in very hippie neighborhood, we weren’t about the big corporate man…it was a good time…all the things we did.” I will say, that many of the things that my mom did while pregnant with me (that I can’t share – heck, they were 25 and living in Clifton) are totally against the pregnancy rules of today – but I love hearing about them and how much she loved that time. I can look at pictures of her at that time – BIG hair, round belly, an effortless cotton pull over dress, and a huge smile. My father is usually in the background smiling twice as big as my mother – in a tight tee (with some random slogan), a pair of sweat pants, and a baby fro. Their happiness inspired my pregnancy release…

My pregnancy release: I decided about a month ago that I didn’t want a 2013 pregnancy – full of dieting, who looks like they are barely pregnant, war stories, and superwoman aspirations. It wasn’t fun. It was stressful. It wasn’t the fun pregnancy stories that I was used to. So, I let go. I decided I am going to be 110% pregnant – eating healthy but totally indulging, not trying to hide the weight gain, but celebrate my belly and curves, and I’m going to enjoy it for what it’s worth…and boy has it been incredible…

Like I am flying to the moon, playing amongst the stars, seeing what spring is like on jupitar and mars... 
 

Popular Posts