I finally get it (self-discovery ramblings)

So, I love my lifestyle. I honestly don't think that I've ever been so happy with my current line of "work"... I mean, I get to teach, bake, reflect, write, and take care of me and Mike - but there was always something missing in DC. I could never pinpoint it, but now I know exactly what it is. 

Last minute, Mike decided he wanted to see his family (he's so cute :), so we hopped in a car and drove to Cincinnati. Man, the car trip is the MOST beautiful drive through the countryside. Anyways, I texted my cousin to say that I was on my way. Her response, "great, let's go to happy hour. I will find some drink/appetizer specials."  So, I threw on my heels, put on my bright red lipstick, and had drinks with A. Yancey. 

And it hit me - THAT'S WHAT'S MISSING.

In DC, Mike and I kick it with some of the coolest people in the world! Like dead serious... when we go out it's full of laughs, ridiculousness, dancing, and just all around mad fun. But I miss my girl-on-girl relationships. In New York and Cincinnati, at the drop of a dime I have brunch boos, happy hour hotties, sushi mate, dinner date, and girlie movie partners. I have friends that are independent of my relationship with Mike. 

I mean, I love being with my hubby, BUT I also love having my girls. I love randomly grabbing some drinks with my girls and spending the entire night screaming about the latest drama. Or on a Saturday, meeting up with a girlfriend and window shopping, catching a movie, and going to a new eatery. Whether it's a group of my girls hanging out or it's a one-on-one date with a friend, I just adore my ladies (this includes hanging out with my two moms - they are crazy, too). 

And it's not only hanging out but I love not making plans to hang out. Like just a text - what are you up to (today, tomorrow, Friday). The rest is history - we are out and about. Developing those type of relationships take time and are so organic that at times you forget how instrumental each one is in your life, but now I finally get it. 

Popular Posts