Watching the best athletes in the entire world...

 
Has inspired me immensely. I can't help, but feel pride, a state of awe, and simply...not envious....errrrr...wishing that I could do that...what word am I  looking for?  Let's just use inspired (again).

No, I do not think I can be nor do I want (to do the work) to be an Olympian. I do, however, want to get back to athletics.

Let's be VERY clear, I've never been the star in any sport, but:
  1. I played (and was apart of the starting players in) basketball
  2. I played soccer
  3. I swam competitively
  4. I played (terribly) tennis
  5. I played (and failed at) field hockey (for three weeks)
  6. I ran (non-competitively, but for causes and marathons) throughout college and some post-college.
All this to say, I enjoy being active. This of course, is coming from a fitness instructor/personal trainer/all things fitness buff's daughter. My mom has literally worked out often (5-7 days/week) for the past 30 years. I think she just changed her workouts (with doctor's consent and watchful eye) in her final trimesters of her three pregnancies. She has more certifications than I can count. It's her job, passion, and now her (used lightly) habit/addiction.

All this to say, as much as I enjoy working out - I have not had my mother's dedication. Don't get me wrong there are months weeks - where I work out often (4-6 days/week), but they are usually followed by months where I work out sparingly (bi-weekly or 1-3 days/week) and then followed by months of  no exercise what so ever...

I saw this on one of my exercise queen's FB wall.
I am a yo-yo exerciser. And I don't want to be. I look at my friends that are, like my mom, workout queens. Funny though, like my mom, many of them don't (just) workout for the weight aspect - they do it because they love it. They play intramural sports, workout often (5-7 days/week), or both...and many of them, if not all, have such a grasp on life. A positive attitude. A lot of energy. And also have awesome bodies (I can't leave it out).

All this to say, I want to join the ranks. So...I'm going back to my eighth grade trick. I read somewhere in the summer going to my eighth grade that if you do something for 21 days - it creates a habit. I'm going to run every day RAIN OR SHINE/SICKNESS and in HEALTH for 22 days. Day one down (and it was raining)... 21 more days to go!

This is the longest time since college that I will workout daily.


Popular Posts