I can't protect him from sadness...but

Neiko and I had our first drive together yesterday. Road time15 min. First 10 min he was silent - I assumed he didn't need me riding in the back with him. I'm just being extra. Then came the fireworks. He was crying bloody murder - I pulled over to give him the pacie. 

It did nothing - I had to drive in his sadness. It made me want to cry and pull over, wrap him in my arms and never let go. I couldn't though - I had to keep going. Although he was upset and uncomfortable and I wanted to temporarily sooth him, when it came down to it, I had to do what was best for the both of us. I had to get us to our destination through the tears. It was rough, but I stayed focused and we made it.

Once we finally reached one another (I literally forgot to turn the car off), he clung to me and I to him. 

He cried a little longer than rested his head on my chest, as I whispered gently in his ear "mommy's here." I meant those two words more than any other words I've ever muttered. 

At that moment, I realized that no matter what life brings us - if the good Lord will allow us a lifetime together one thing Neiko can rest assured in is that his "mommy's here." 

Popular Posts