One Child?

Several of my friends only want to have one child. I used to respect it, but couldn't understand it. But like I told my girlfriend today, "I get it now. Sometimes I don't know if my heart or my breasts can take having another one." But apparently, there are some other reasons why having one makes a wholotta sense.

 

TWO be or not TWO be... that is the question :)



Would a picture be right without my number one accessory?!?!
Baby boy.

Is Having Only One Child the Key to Gender Equality?

Keli Goff. Author and Special Correspondent, TheRoot.com
Huffington Post

Ten years ago a New York Times article marked the beginning of a new chapter in the so-called "mommy wars." The piece, which was so provocative it inspired a 60 Minutes segment, highlighted the number of highly educated, successful, Gen X career women who were choosing to "opt-out" and become stay-at-home mothers. Last week The Times caught up with some of those women. While there were some success stories -- depending on a very fluid definition of success -- there were some serious horror stories. The most horrifying of all to any woman who has ever grappled with whether leaving the workplace is a mistake, is the story of Sheilah O'Donnel, a woman who gave up a job earning half a million dollars a year to become a stay-at-home mother. Years later her marriage crumbled, leaving her struggling to get back on her feet financially and professionally with three children in tow. Now, 10 years later, her advice to her own daughter is very different from the advice she gave 10 years ago when she sang the praises of full-time motherhood. "This is the perfect reason why you need to work. You don't have to make a million dollars. You don't have to have a wealthy lifestyle. You just always have to be able to at least earn enough so you can support yourself."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff/is-having-only-one-child-_b_3752740.html


P.S. If it's God's plan for my life or better yet God willing - I still think more than one would be nice. But honestly, as I get older - I realize that having one (at all) is quite the blessing.

 

Popular Posts