CAPTURED ON TAPE: JUST PLAIN HEARTBREAKING

Short Story and Ramble:

After a long and productive day at work, me and a friend walked to small group and partook in a "debate" about righteousness, being saved, etc. Every inch of it was delicious, esp. the part when we had 10 min. to look through the Word and find some kind of evidence to back up our words. After it was said and done, we all went our separate ways, me and a friend grabbed some Cherry Cokes and a few other items and ran our mouths while on the train.

At the end of our ride, five young guys loaded the train. I would guess they were in between the ages of 15-17...super loud (fashionably and volume-wise).

"Yo, yo...I know you didn't do it."
"Yeah, I did."
One boy then quickly shows a "phone" to his friend...
"Dang, that's her...dang she is."
All the boys rush to the phone, hitting several people in their way to see this picture.
"And...I got her."
The boys are now huddled around the phone and talking about how they are going to make their calls and they are gonna be able to prove it with pictures.

I was appalled...

Now don't get me wrong, I definitely heard (and even knew specific instances) about secret (meaning the girl didn't know) "taping" of sexual escapades while in college, the leaked celebrity sex tape, the send me a nasty picture (and then all the dudes get a peek), and my eighth grade students sharing nasty text messages but there was something about seeing high school boys engaging in this derogatory action that gave me shivers.

No longer are boys simply "lying" on their "manhoods"...they are now being equipped with pictures, videos...evidence. No longer are experimental adolescent mistakes something that can never be proven and often deaded after time - the visual will stay forever ingrained. There is something sad to me about the death of privacy and the incredible betrayal that these girls must be going through...

I mean, we all know the awful feeling behind "false feelings"...he/she likes me and then after time there is this slow realization that no, he/she just wants to "make out" or no, she/he just lied and told everyone that we did things that we didn't do or no, she/he just told everyone what we did do. That realization alone is such a betrayal of trust and completely embarrassing...

All this to say, the mere thought that those young girls' activities have been recorded is just heartbreaking...

This world is stinkin' nuts.

Popular Posts