Vintage Vent

When I was in college, one of my friends and I would wake up early, grab a coffee at the local gas station and make our way from Oxford to Cincinnati. We would blare music, talk about fashion, school and our hopes to live in "the City." We were on a mission to vintage shop - we mapped out all the vintage shops on our way and would hunt for accessories, clothes, shoes, etc. anything that would make our outfits pop. Many times we would be out for hours and would come back with bags full of delicious and sometimes ridiculous finds, all of our purchases under $50.00. My friend was pretty good at altering her clothes (a skill that I am learning), so she was always able to purchase more clothes than me and then tailor them to her body and style. For me, vintage shopping was fun but raiding grandma's closet was where my truly lavish and elegant vintage clothes came from.


Some of my favorites in my very vintage purse collection.
My mom collects beautiful hip purses, too.
Can you believe a woman was selling an identical black purse for $55.
Sure it's Coach, but her purse was in awful condition. No Thank you.


Grandma's ring and bracelet from the 50s.

Some really cute vintage shoes from my mother-in-law, these mark early 90s

Now for my VENT:

Mike and I just got back from doing our normal Saturday routine. Wake up, throw on some clothes, take a walk, grab a coffee and donuts at the open market in the park and window shop. Today, was different though because I wanted to do some research...some vintage research. So, I walked around the neighborhood pricing vintage items instead of looking to purchase them.

I have been collecting vintage jewelery, dresses, hats and purses since sixth grade and I am always looking to grow my collection. I am not interested at selling my items, but was interested in seeing how much pieces similar to mine were being sold for. Additionally, one of my friends was complaining about the prices as to why she would never wear vintage clothing. I actually haven't done a lot of "popular" (just meaning at spots that are known for vintage clothes) vintage shopping in New York, so I decided to look around and see what I could find and to see if her argument was accurate.

Now for most evening wear items they were fairly expensive, which I totally get it, I would never sell my dressy items (esp. those with sentimental value) for "nothing" but then there were daytime clothes that were close to $75.oo. I was shocked...my friend was right, why would someone want to pay for a casual shirt worn by another person, in "fair" condition for more than $50.00?

It's slightly annoying and offensive that vintage prices have increased or are just so expensive - it's like the beauty of vintage clothing is the thought of buying something cheaper than designer wear - in fact, it's glorified hand-me downs.

So for anyone looking to collect vintage wear on a budget, do what I do raid grandmother's closet (my favorite shopping center), older family members, Goodwill and still go vintage shopping but only purchase the CUTE cheap finds. Casual vintage should never be more than $30.00.

Here I am in college with my sorors wearing my grandmother's dress.
A vintage read and gold dress from the 60s.

Speaking of vintage wear, I have this early 80's red leather jacket that I simply don't know what to do with it. I love it but it was one of the purchases that is just sitting in my closet.









Popular Posts