In another lifetime: Part II

Read Part I here...before reading part II

9:03 pm


"It's Mike. Mike Steel and yours?"

"My name is Shelby. Shelby Stone."

"Alright, Shelby, you going to join me for dinner?"

No. Yes. What if he is a freakin' psycho? People actually go home with strangers all the time and they survive. But then there is the Craigslist killer...John Wayne Wilson...and other killers lurking around...what if I am his next victim? I mean, being found stabbed 18 times, with a candle insertion, and a smashed skull sounds terrible (like John's victim) BUT he looks so normal...actually way better than normal and I need to live...

"Are you married? I'm not into crazy women comin' after me," I say looking up trying to give him the look. The look that I've practiced and perfected...hopefully he enjoys it.

He is smiling at me...looking right into my eyes, almost making me want to look down at my shoes, but I maintain eye contact afraid that he is about to take back the offer or turn out to be married...

"No."

Should I follow up and let him that he isn't gettin' any tonight? In fact, I am not even kissing on the first night. Should I take a picture of him when he isn't looking in order to send it to my girls, just in case he is nuts? Does he notice that I am over here in the zone? Man, I am still smiling super hard.

I am feelin his style...he still has on his business clothes... perfectly tailored black slacks, a white button down with the two top buttons undone showing his white wife beater, his sleeves are slightly rolled up, "MS" is initialed on his shirt pocket and his silver cuff links, a deep purple tie fitted lose around his neck, shiny black shoes, his hairline is perfect and his hands are in his pockets - I am ready to go where ever he leads me...

His flawless appearance all of sudden reminds me about my thrown on outfit...I quickly throw my fingers through my hair making sure it's all in my high bun. The bathroom is the first stop in the restaurant.

"How was your day?"

Huh...interrupted from my thoughts

"How was your day?"

10:40 pm

More than an hour (massive rolls, large sake, three reapplied lip gloss layers, the exchanging of contact information) later we are still talking...eye contact is there and there have been a few hand touches that have literally given me shivers. We have realized that we both are from the Midwest, he moved to New York after school and works for American Express in the marketing department. He knows that I am a designer/ freelance stylist that works at the library.

When he goes to the restroom, I can't help but text my girls...they will be so surprised with my behavior. I have always played it so safe but then again after the crazy barber, the "artist" that turned out to be a train singer, the unkempt writer, the married construction worker (had no idea), the re-occurring ex, the divo fashion dude and the short dating stint with a playboy teacher - they may question my common sense.

"Do you want dessert?" he asks closing his phone as I finish sending my two page text

"I'm okay," hoping that we can still talk longer and wondering if he was talking on the phone and not in the restroom.

"Okay then I will take the bill, please" I didn't even notice the waitress.

She hands him the bill. He gives her his card. I thank him probably too much. He smiles. Scribbles his initials. And we walk out.

"Do you need a car?"

"No, I am right around the corner, I can just walk home."

"You sure? I don't mind splitting a car with you," he asks.

"I'm sure," I reply wishing the night wasn't over...why doesn't he invite me to dessert...should I ask him?

Okay, maybe I will give him a peck on the cheek to leave him with something to remember and a reason to call me.

"Cool," he says as a black car slows down to pick him up, "enjoy your night, Shelby," he says with a smile as he gets in the car.

He doesn't attempt to kiss me, hug me, or even offer his hand...as the black car leaves, I am left questioning and analysing every inch of that "date." Is he a gentlemen or just not interested? Who was on the other line, maybe that person is the reason our date ended so abruptly.

PART III coming soon...

Popular Posts