Summer Fun


In an effort to not bring up Trayvon Martin and keep the mood lite. I read the cutest article in the WSJ today and wanted to share (below). The story is When Summer was Easy.I think that I related to the article, because growing up a Midwestern girl the experience was fairly similar. The author does an amazing job bringing his 60s/70s summer experience to life - so much so "it got me to reminiscing" about my old Midwestern Summers: 
  • Timeshare at Myrtle Beach (every summer we would go to the beach - sometimes with grandma and grandpa in tow) - we had a condo. Parents in bedroom and the kids on pull out beds and cots :) WE LITERALLY LOOKED FORWARD TO THIS VACATION ALL YEAR AROUND! Amazing summer breakfasts by chef a'la'Lynne, lunches by the pool, and simple dinners out on the town.  
  •  Graham cracker ice cream sandwich picnics - again another Chef Lynne cuisine. The park, my parents, siblings, a small dinner snacks, and the kicker... ice cream sandwiches on graham crackers 
  • Full days at the pool - literally from sun up to sun down - swim team, tennis lessons (and I still can't play a lick), fun, fun, and more fun!  We belonged to a private swim club - so we knew everyone that came to the pool. My mom sat on the board - so there were weekly potlucks, game nights, and my parents had a "tab" (lunch and snacks on Stone, please)
  • Summer camp - when we were too young to stay at the pool by ourselves, we went to Pleasant Ridge swim camp! Hung out with friends, ate lunch out of a cooler (sandwich, chips, fruit, and juice), and read books. 
  • Summer reading - my mom gave us summer reading - on top of school reading. It was fun though, because it was our choice. My mom even made a girls' group where we talked about books and other girlie issues. 
  • BBQs every night - dad (and later Kenny) throw something on the grill, mom made sides, and we would just hang out on the back porch as a family all night (sometimes with the addition of a friend or two) talking...
  • Amusement Parks - need I say more?!? So much fun! 
  • Summer jobs - lifeguard, swim coach, teach swimming lessons, camp counselor, fashion retail, internships...
  • Skimpy Outfits - well not skimpy comparative to today - rolled up shorts, little tees (showing off my tan line), summer skirts, bathing suits and cover ups, and consistently wet hair. 
So much more... but boy, summers were incredible. I mean, this summer has been pretty close to perfecto, but there is something about having a lot of family around constantly (and graham cracker ice cream sandwiches) that creates a utopia of sorts...




Popular Posts