Summertime and the Living is Easy

"Summertime
And the livin' is easy,
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high.
Oh yo' daddy's rich
An' yo' ma is good lookin'
So hush, little baby,
Don't you cry."

- George Gershwin (best rendition Ella F. and Louis A.) 


Yesterday, my brother came over to the apartment. He met Mike in the city for a Trayvon rally. Mike, along with some friends, was passing out documentation on a new law (deets later). 

As much as I wanted to support - the idea of waddling around in mid 90 degree weather in a crowd - didn't quite appeal to my swollen sausages. Just thinking about it now - makes me want to turn up the air and lay down. 

Anyways, my brother comes over and we literally run our mouths over Thai for over six hours. By the end of night, as we are winding down, Kenny says: 

"Well, Shelby, there is one conclusion that I can make tonight by listening to your conversation." 

"What's that?" 

"You are chillin - don't be mad at me, sis,  you exposed your self!" 

"What! How?" 

"You have been able to tell me about the documentary line up on Netflix. You have an incredible tan and mentioned that your pool friends thought you were in labor, because you weren't there ONE day out of the week! You have snacks stashed. Kept me informed on the Dwayne Wade scandal and new television personalities. And just repeated an entire scene from Waiting to Exhale."

We all laughed so hard! I guess he was right I've been taking it extremely easy! 

But to my defense: Iyanla isn't necessarily new and who doesn't know the infamous Angela Basset scene: 

" I was your white woman for eleven years! You couldn't have started that d--- company without me. Hell, I WORKED MY A-- OFF! I mean, I got a Masters' degree in business, and there I was - his secretary, his office manager, and his COMPUTER! "No, Bernadine, you can't start the catering business this year. Why don't you wait a few years? Yeah, don't start now; wait one, two, three years. I need you to be the F@!@ing BACKGROUND to MY foreground!" 732...732...the number of times that we made love. I remember when that bastard told me he was counting - right after 51" 

Whew, I could continue but...no need! Hope you are enjoying your day! 

Popular Posts