Advice Question: What happens when your friend is trashy?

I got this e-mail from an anonymous person explaining a possible fallout between two friends. Instead of asking for solely my opinion, this person asked for me to open this question up to the readers of this blog.

So what are your thoughts?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/4010836843_7d8329d415.jpg

I have been best friends with "Tiffany" since middle school and now that we're older, our entertainment lifestyles are a bit different. When I enjoy a night on the town with friends, it's pretty mild. I definitely will drink, may do a little two-step dancing, flirting with men, cracking jokes, etc. Tiffany on the other hand will partake in body shots, work stripper poles (if they're there for clubgoers experience), do THE MOST when it comes to flirting with men, etc. It makes me uncomfortable. Within the last 2 years or so, I rarely will hit the clubs with her because her actions are a bit on the "trashy" side to me and I don't want to be represented that way. This has now crossed over into other realms of our friendship because when she tells me stories of her random dates, flirty chats with men, etc. I believe she crosses the line- when she continuously dates a man after she knows he's catching real feelings that she refuses to reciprocate, etc. When I try to express my dissent it brings conflict, because in her eyes, (although she is willing to do everything but sex with random men) she has "slept" with less men than with me and is doing her part to protect herself. Although in my day, I did my thing behind closed doors, I've tried to protect my image and am now trying to preserve my "goodies."Overall though, despite the "numbers" game, I find her trashy image to be more overwhelming every day and am considering putting distance on the friendship-we can be cool, just not "best" friends. Am I overreacting?

Popular Posts