How do you?


Tell someone that thinks you are already dating that you are just friends (without harming the relationship)... even if the confusion is caused by you? A reoccurring conversation this weekend was heartbreak and relationships. For some reason from Friday to Saturday, whether at happy hour, at the park, rollin' around New York, over BBQ... I constantly talked and listened to stories of heartbreak. Within those conversations there was usually a story of "different expectations" - we all know the story, "I thought we were dating but he/she said we were just friends." We, also, all know the ending - so we decided to be neither friends or boyfriend/girlfriend. The ending is one that is expected when one has possibly led someone on to thinking one thing when the reality is completely different that's why when I got the e-mail below, I couldn't write back. Now, before this weekend, I would have easily said, "tell him you want to be friends," but the reality is...many times it's not that simple. I'm just wondering, does anyone know how to tell someone to slow down or you just want to be friends without the relationship completely ending? Read the situation below for more context. You can comment on the situation directly or my question. Thanks!

So I'm dating someone I met on eHarmony. Turns out he is also the roommate of a friend from college and we know a few of the same people from college. 3 dates and one hang out session with him and his friends later, he tells me he really really likes me, etc, etc. He's a really nice guy, very mushy ( I'm not at all). That's all besides the point. I feel the need to be woo'ed, pursued, chased. My friends told me they didn't think the online thing would work out for me because of this fact. You're matched online so the whole intrigue, mystery, the chase is all taken care of by the click of your mouse on whatever dating site you happen to be on. He thinks I'm fighting my feelings for him and I'm just a little bored. His eyes are honed in on me and my eyes are on him and others as well. I could tell him what I like (I do this seldomly) versus what I don't like (I do this a lot) in the manner he is attempting to pursue me. I honestly don't know. I feel a little like a I got shafted with this whole eharmony thing. It's probably my fault as he probably assumed I was already into him because I agreed to go out with him and talked with him for hours on the phone. I can see where he would think that, but frankly I'm just not that impressed. I like hanging out with him and talking on the phone but I move a lot slower than he does (this has been going on for almost 2 months) and he's not rushing me but in a way he is. It's all a mess really. But yeah, I'm bored.

Popular Posts