My dad used to threaten to leave us for Toni Braxton


And I think his threats worked as motivation to go out there amongst (in his words), "the other lions and fend for his cubs."

Scene:

The car is silent. Renny is in her car seat. Kenny is sitting there playing with his Gameboy. I am staring at myself in the rearview mirror. My mom is looking out the window and my father is driving. It is a rare silence in the Stone house/car, one that comes possibly once a month.

"Hey guys, Toni called and I'm going with her," my dad says matter-of-factly.
"Nooooooooo," Kenny and I say in unison. Renny chimms in at the ooooo-part.
"Ken, why do you even have to play about this," my mom says slighlty annoyed.
"Lynne, this time I am serious. You guys don't appreciate me."
"We do appreciate you, dad," Kenny and I say (playing our part).
"Do you guys?"
"Yes. We don't want you to go the house wouldn't be the same."
"So it's not just my money you want?"
"NOOOOOO"
"Okay, well I will stay.
"Yay, daddy is going to stay."
My dad drives silently smiling.

Once, I got older my dad began interchanging Toni Braxton and Vanessa Williams and my response changed from rejections to "leave - as long as you leave your wallet." To which my father would smile and laugh at and always reply,

"You guys are savages, man. I knew it, you guys want me for my money!"

(Just having a missing my daddy-moment and just watched "Takers" so thinking about celebrity crushes...Idris Elba...whewwweee)

Popular Posts