This week, I finished the book The Passions of Mary Margaret and I declare that it is a "must-read." It is a beautiful love story and a surprising suspense. I honestly wished there were about 75 more pages...

But the book that I want to preview is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. Last night after eating two shrimp egg rolls and climbing in bed, I actually pulled the covers up to my earlobes, kept the little reading light on, and consumed the last pages of this book. This was one of the first times this year that I stayed awake as Mike took to a deep slumber. Finish this book was worth a little less than five hours of sleep - heck, nothing that two cups of coffee can't handle. The Glass Castle is the story of the impoverished Walls family. The head of the household is Rex, an intelligent story-teller that loves nothing more than his beer and his "CRAZY" wife. This story will make you laugh and cry but most importantly it will make you think. The book makes you think about the idea of poverty, sacrifice, imagination and the dynamics of a family.


The exposition of poverty equating to abuse, oppression and/or illness is incredibly eye-opening and an idea also explored in the book, The Zahir. The Zahir is a highly intellectual/spiritual (not to be mistaken as Christian) international read about love/obsession...


Popular Posts