Stream of Consciousness: I'm in transition...

This week, I got my hair cut. I'm a nomad - wondering from restaurant to restaurant. I've met with around 20 of my New York girls - some one-on-one dates and others as group dates. I am going to miss each one of them so much. It's true that I (personally) cannot have a close friend that I don't admire. So, I leave so many people that I love, genuinely know and admire. There's no doubt in my mind that we will all keep in touch but this process is harder than I thought it would be. In the last few weeks, I've literally had no time to just sit in my apartment and think, mostly because I was rushing from brunch, to bubble tea, to dinner, to desserts and drinks.

But to be honest, I prefer it that way... I don't want to think about this move. At night, I find myself trying to think of everything and anything but this transition. It's an exciting time but I cannot deny the fact that I've built a life here. In the last four and a half years, I've become the adult Shelby. It's the only post-college home that I know. My friends here have been the faces that I see after a hard, happy, or long day. Theirs are the smiles that I look forward to on a regular Saturday morning girls brunch or a night out on the town. I know their lives and they know mine. It's funny because over the last five years, New York evolved from this desired unknown world to my home. In the last week, I've had a little time to walk around the city but not much time to say, "bye." Mike keeps on telling me to look at this next year as an adventure and I am, but I must be honest in saying that it also feels a lot like leaving home for the first time. It's not easy leaving the people that I adore (my brother, my close friends, my cousin, my neighbors, my students, co-workers), my tiny Brooklyn apartment, the New York flare/fashion/style and my state.

But "here's to an adventure."

Popular Posts