Cocktail Attire???

When people ask me what I "do" - many times my most simple answer is I publish with communications (alumni newsletter, invitations, general communications) and plan events for the alumni of Teach For America. After I tell them this - I usually get a lot of questions surrounding event stuff; however my favorite questions from friends and attendees of events are around event etiquette specifically fashion. With the holiday season in session the famous question is:


What is cocktail attire?

So, I thought that I would share this with everyone because I am sure that we will all have a cocktail party this season and it just so happens I am planning one for Teach For America as we speak! It's on Thursday...so say a special prayer for me, please. So here are my safe rules:


* Now don't forget to use your judgement - sometimes people use cocktail party for a very casual affair - let the host/organization, invitation (e-vite think less formal; gold encrusted paper think formal), and word on the street guide you BUT in theory below is the general description of cocktail attire.

Overall cocktail attire is the balance between casual and formal - semi-formal with an edge and a touch of individual style.


MEN:

and going for a fitted suit, with a button down shirt (top button undone) and a suit pants. IF you stick to suit jacket and tie - my suggestion is to go with a skinny tie and a straight leg fitted pant NOT skinny pants :)












WOMEN:







Cocktail attire for women is a short dress, evening suit (NOT BUSINESS SUIT) and/or evening trousers. I always stick to a shorter dress, because pulling off pants is hard because it's an easy line to cross between looking like you are at the party to pass out a resume and there to have fun; however there are many women that do an awesome job playing the part. I've seen people do both. Usually a cocktail party is best suited for you little cute black lacey dress. Makeup and hair should be appropriate on the time of day it is - no dramatic night time make-up for a day cocktail party.




*Who better to model a perfect cocktail dress than ONE OF MY TOP THREE celebrity fashion icons, Kerry Washington






Perfect Couple:








One of, if not the most, beautiful couples in Hollywood...fitting.








Popular Posts