Book Review: I'm completely DROWNING in nonfiction.

It's no secret, I LOVE fiction. I like to become consumed by a book. For me there is nothing better than laying on the couch, putting on some covers, having a sweet snack and beverage and losing myself to the character of choice. NONFICTION feels more like school work to me.

Therefore, I'm not being smart right now. I am reading three different nonfiction books at one time! YIKES! I am not making the progress that I am used to making, but I do have an excuse. One book was a suggestion from my father (because of the bakery line), one book is a bestseller (and a suggestion from my girl Sashani), and then one book is ongoing reading!

Okay, so this is what I got:

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It

This is a small business beginners book that my dad suggested, because he wanted me and Mike to really take a look into what we are getting into. After reading it, my dad and I are going to grab some lunch and discuss the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. My dad has owned his business for over 20 years, so I thought he was just gonna tell me what to do, but instead he gave me books to read. He's always said that, "his children need to get out and get their own." He's never been about handouts, it's about earning. But shoot, I really feel like being a brat and just getting a stinkin' handout, lol. JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO (and possibly give me a little money). Well anyways, I need to be finished with this by Friday, so that I can have my book review with dad while I am home. Pray for me, y'all.

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

The small text reads, "Nonreligious thoughts on Christian Spirituality." This is the bestseller, so far it's scrumptious and reads like a long stream of consciousness, which I love because it's very rambled, human, flawed, and quirky. The author is incredibly hard on himself and slightly ridiculous, but it makes him all the more lovable. He reminds me of the guy that you can find in a dingy poetry cafe in jeans, a tee-shirt, and a worn baseball cap. He is brilliant, funny and seems to strike out a lot with the ladies. He's relatable, which makes his work easy to read and whether you agree or not - he gives everyone something to think about. The characters that he introduces us to are as unique as he is, most of the characters are some of the smartest and darkest people I've read about, so their take on Christianity is incredible and so different from mine BUT that is Christianity for you! We are all so diverse...I'm all about simple faith and many of his friends are all about the facts of Christianity. It's very interesting.

Popular Posts