UPDATE: I'm doing well... thanks for asking!


I've gotten a lot of questions about what I am doing and how I am doing...well, here is the update!

I am doing fantastic! Like absolutely fantastic. I've only had one "not-so-great" day and that was last Tuesday. I woke up in a fairly grouchy mood and decided that I was going to be idle for a day and I now know why the Lord discusses His disdain for idleness. I completely and utterly get why it is one of the major roots for sin. Well at least for me - sitting around and doing nothing or watching television during a work day literally takes me to negative land. I am not a happy, efficient or productive person and I hate that feeling. I hated that feeling when I had a 9-5 too, you know sitting at the desk with nothing to do and no motivation to go over and beyond... so you surf the web, have pointless (negative) conversations, or wallow in self-pity. Therefore one thing that I've learned during this time, is it's important for me to stay active, stay productive, stay creative and always make sure that I am working out! Exercise in the morning definitely gives me the energy and the focus to run around all day.

One of the major reasons that I quit my job is that I wanted to see what the Lord has for me, what desires he has placed within me, I wanted to know who Shelby is when I am left with my own devices. I find that when I have a primary job, my sole focus/passion/desire is to be successful at that job. My eyes are on the prize, the next level, the accolades, that sensation of achievement. When I strip myself away from that primary job, I always feel like I am able to focus clearly on the bigger picture and my TRUE self.

Before leaving work, I assumed that I would fall into writer mode - doing service here and there; however what I've found in the last month is that art, service, culinary arts, writing are all aspects I am in love with. I love writing this blog and freelancing for a few online sites, But I'm also launching a HOME baked goods line :) Right now, I am doing a bunch of experimenting with logos, with recipes, and thinking up a fun name! Yeah, that's another reason I have to work out everyday...I am eating baked goods daily... it's Heaven!

But I couldn't focus all my energy on writing and baking...I wouldn't feel full. So, I've also signed up as the arts and crafts teacher and possibly a "history" writer at a senior citizen home. I'm also working with a few Priests and nuns to help end hunger in the DC area (and you guys thought I was playing with my Sister comments... can someone say dream gig!). And I finally found my local arts and crafts store close to home, so I'm getting ready to create my fall home arrangements. I'm up to a few other projects... but will let you guys know as they transpire.

Popular Posts